Saturday, April 7, 2012

have your cake. eat it too.

strawberry buttermilk cake &
basic buttercream frosting with chopped pecans.

This recipe was found on pinterest (shocker. right?). I was browsing boards as I do, a lot of the time and spotted this delicious little cake. It looked too good and too easy to pass up. One of my favorite things about reading recipes is realizing I have everything I need to make the recipe without having to go to the store. As I was getting out the ingredients I quickly realized I was missing a very key ingredient...buttermilk. Strawberry buttermilk cake without the buttermilk? That would not go well. Without a panic, I remembered a little trick my mama taught me. Mix 1 cup milk (I used soy milk) with 1 tbs. of vinegar and let it sit for 5 minutes. Watch the time & make sure it doesn't get too sour. That my friends is what we call DIY buttermilk.

This was a tasty little cake that I would definitely make again. The frosting isn't imperative but let's be honest, who doesn't like a little extra sweetness?

Enjoy this cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment