Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Double Mail Monday

When I was growing up, one of my favorite things to do was get the mail. It was the concept of  being able to mail tangible things from place to place in a matter of days that has always fascinated me. Our mail lady would come somewhere between 11:30 and 12:00. She was usually very punctual and I liked that about her. 

Technology though has really made 'getting mail' a little less fun and a little more like "there is no way it is time to pay the utility bill again". Don't get me wrong, e-mail was a fantastic invention. It is pretty much instantaneous and makes communicating with someone quick and efficient. If however, quick and efficient is less your goal and anticipated and thoughtful is more of your objective, I would suggest writing someone a letter. A hand written letter that turns half cursive when your hand gets tired kind of thing. All parts of the process are fun: sitting down to write a note, addressing the envelope, getting out a stamp for the right corner, walking it out to the mailbox and finally flipping the little flag up.

Receiving a letter in the mail is wonderful. It would be far less meaningful to simply print out an email you got from a friend. To get a letter in the mail is (at least for me) kind of like a little piece of Christmas. Someone thought about you, took the time to tell you what was on their mind and then addressed it to make sure it was going to you. No one else. This is special.

I love the mail. Maybe when I'm retired I will work at the US postal service. That would be nice. Given the previous paragraphs, it should come as no surprise that sending and receiving mail are among my most favorite things. One of my roommates in college had this theory that Monday's were the best days for mail because the mail didn't run on Sunday therefore we were getting two days worth of mail. I'm still not sure if I completely understand or agree but none-the-less, today was what we will call a 'double mail Monday'. I got a sweet package from my mamma. She knows how I feel about the mail and has figured out how to stuff small bits of home and family into a sealed envelope in a special way that an email, picture or a phone call is not able to.

Ok, so here is what I want for you. I want you to love the mail as much as I do. Start with writing someone a letter, a note or just a little word of encouragement. You won't regret it. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment